Cypress is located in the northwest portion of Orange County. According to Wikipedia, Cypress was originally nicknamed "Waterville" due to the number of artesian wells in the area, but the City was incorporated under the name Dairy City in 1956 by local dairy farmers in an effort to preserve their dairies, much like the then-neighboring cities of Dairy Valley in Cerritos and Dairyland in La Palma.
After World War II, however, the land became too valuable for farming and/or ranching, and the dairies gradually sold out to housing developers during the 1960s and by the 1970s, no dairies remained.
In 1957 local residents voted to change the name of "Dairy City" to "Cypress", which was taken from the name of the local elementary school, Cypress Elementary School, which was originally built in 1895) and which took its name from the Cypress trees planted to protect the schoolhouse from the seasonal Santa Ana winds.
Cypress has a number of bars and restaurants within the city limits that serve as areas patrolled by the Cypress Police Department in search of drunk drivers.